Spanish | French
Home > Deceased Sisters > S. Marie Anne Thérèse Allain - Date of Death 03/12/2020



Latest updates






More pictures

S. Marie Anne Thérèse Allain

List of Deceased Sisters

Date of Death 03/12/2020



    Sister Marie Anne-Thérèse Allain, smsm

28 July 1929 – 3 December 2020

                                                                 “My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from Him” Ps 62 (63):1

SMSM SistersThérèse ALLAIN was born on July 28, 1929 in St. Christophe des Bois, in the Diocese of Angers. She was one of the daughters of Jean ALLAIN and Virginie BILLAUD. She was baptized on July 29, 1929 and confirmed on May 13, 1941. She entered the SMSM novitiate on March 9, 1957 and was given the name of S. Marie Anne-Thérèse. She  made profession on March 9, 1959 in the church of Sainte-Foy and her brother priest played the organ. She was always very attached to him and other members of her family.

In 1960, Sister studied catechesis and Gregorian Chant. It was at this time that her talents as an organist and singer were revealed. In addition, she developed her taste for floral art. What a beautiful array of gifts for praying the liturgy!

Impressive are her many appointment back and forth between France and Oceania. We can say that she has lived the expression of our Constitutions, no 16 "to set out and to set out again". Let's follow her to the many places of SMSM mission where she gave multiple services:

In 1961, Sr. Marie Anne-Thérèse arrived in New Caledonia. She was first appointed to Mont-Mou, where she helped at the novitiate. On 1 January 1964, she went to teach in Tyé.  After this time of professional experience, she committed herself by perpetual vows on March 9, 1965.

On February 1, 1971, she was appointed in charge of the Marie Reine boarding school: a task where she proved to be a good steward.

A year later, she returned to France for a time with her family, then was appointed to Sainte Foy where she took care of the kitchen.  All those who knew her say unanimously that she was a very good cook.

On May 2, 1973, after her second novitiate, she was appointed to the provincial house at Sainte-Foy.  She worked in the preparation of the newsletter and in mission awareness.

On September 22, 1975, she was sent on mission to Vitrolles for parish pastoral work.  As Sr Marie Anne-Thérèse was a relational person, she knew many people and had many friends.

Five years later, on February 22, 1980, she returned to Oceania, this time to Vanuatu, where she was in charge of the Nabanga Hostel. She took care of everything: Christian formation, work, hygiene, cleanliness. She enjoyed singing, teaching singing, and directing the choir at Mass.

In 1985, S. Marie Anne-Thérèse returned to France. After her family visit, she went to Angers, to the Institute of Formation in Pastoral Studies. Then she returned to New Caledonia to take charge of the Massabielle Hostel in Nouméa.

On 1 January 1993, she returned to France for her family visit, and to continue her pastoral formation. In January 1994, she was appointed to Sainte-Foy for community service.

On October 15, 1995, she returned to Mont Mou where she devoted herself with joy and skill to her tasks in charge of the house.

On February 26, 2001, she returned to France on leave, then returned to Mont Mou six months later.

After another family visit in December 2006, she was appointed to Saint-Victoret.

Finally, in 2014, she retired to Sainte-Foy.

It was at Vitrolles that the first signs of her Parkinson's disease were manifest. Later, at Sainte-Foy, increasingly exhausted by this disease, S. Marie-Anne-Thérèse was hospitalized in La Croix Rousse. Then on April 11, 2016, she was admitted to Pierre Garraud Hospital.

Those who visited her were touched by her strong faith, which she often expressed in singing the Nunc Dimitis. It was very moving...   Fragility gradually took over. She had to depend on others for everything. Her cross was heavy to bear...she had waited a long time for the coming of her Lord.

Informing us of Sister’s death, the staff at Pierre Garraud said: "This morning, S. Marie Anne-Thérèse was fine! She asked us if there would be Mass, and then, soon after, she left! »   They were taken by surprise by her departure. She left this world quietly, on the feast of the great missionary, St. Francis Xavier.

What memories does S. Marie Anne-Thérèse leave us of her missionary life?

I recall her joy, her openness to mission, her ability to use her talents to serve and share with others.

The sisters were marked differently in their contacts with S. Marie Anne-Therese.

I have collected a few testimonies that are worth sharing:

At Mont Mou, the novices were edified, and felt loved and encouraged by S. Marie Anne-Thérèse. In addition to her talents as a housekeeper and music enthusiast, she had an ability to listen and even to recognise the concern on the other people’s faces. She loved beautiful liturgy, and this was contagious.  She inspired in others the desire to sing well and to love prayer, for she took great care in the preparation of the liturgy.  She encouraged others to take pride in doing a job well.

These novices who met her again years later at Sainte-Foy, recognised in S. Marie Anne-Thérèse the same delicate and attentive person, joyful and welcoming.

She served the Church with all her heart, despite her sometimes-unconventional nature and difficult relationships with certain people.


May our sister Marie Anne-Thérèse rejoice with her Master and Lord in the eternal life that He has promised to those who follow Him. "Come faithful servant, enter into the joy of your Master" (Matt 25:21)


Sister Claudette Razafindravelonoro

Regional Leader