St Joseph’s school in Bourail, recently sold by the Region, has its own history. A first piece of historical information tells us : “From 1872 until 31 December 1903, the Sisters of St Joseph of Cluny taught in a school which included boarders and day students at Bourail, before being transferred to Fonwhary, in the commune of La Foa.” This was a consequence of the law passed in France on 9 December 1905 separating Church and State.
For us SMSM our work began in 1926 when the Marist Priest of Bourail asked the sister in charge of the TORM in New Caledonia, Sister Marie Liguori, for some sisters to ensure the education of young people. After much discussion and hesitation, thanks to the tenacious will of Bishop Chanrion, the work and the prayers of Father de Thuret, the priest in charge of the Bourail mission, our St Joseph’s School was opened. Here is what Father de Thuret wrote to Bishop Chanrion on 22 December 1926: “Sisters Marie Liguori and Marie Marguerite arrived yesterday in the service vehicle. Welcome, many flowers, such an abundance of bouquets… Then we went in procession to the church. We sang the Magnificat and received the Blessing of the Blessed Sacrament in honour of the feast of St Thomas the Apostle.” The sisters had been long desired and expected.
The school began with limited resources in early 1927. We were poor, but little by little the ‘family’ grew, both students and the sisters, as did the buildings. Alas! In 1932, a cyclone caused much destruction: the church, neighboring houses, the school - all collapsed under the force of the storm. Only a pile of ruins remained.
With courage, we started again and rebuilt, more beautiful than before. The school had initially been co-educational, but as enrollment increased, the plan was to create two separate buildings. In 1946, Sacred Heart School became completely independent from St Joseph's, and the boys' branch flourished while awaiting the arrival of the Brothers of the Sacred Heart in 1954. In 1952, a big celebration was organized to mark the 25th anniversary of St Joseph's School. A sister from the community wrote about this jubilee: “25 years: it is a heavy responsibility before God but one also rich in God’s blessings. Thanksgiving should ultimately mark this day. The prayer of all those who have collaborated in this educational work rises to Heaven, laden with gratitude for so many graces received.”
The small primary school grew in importance and, over the years, became a secondary school. Many SMSM worked there teaching, involved in the boarding school education, and serving all the needs of the institution. In 1967, secretarial and accounting classes were opened, later developing into the François d'Assise Professional High School in memory of our illustrious Sister Marie François d'Assise, SMSM, who taught typing, music, and physical education.
Over the years, the buildings aged and no longer met safety standards. Therefore, the Directorate of Catholic Education (DDEC) built new school buildings for the growing student population but the buildings continued to be used as a hostel. At the end of 2024, la DDEC closed the hostel and the property reverted to the SMSM. The SMSM Region has decided to sell this property. However, we were determined to keep the statue of St. Joseph, which now continues its “mission” as guardian of Mont Mou. Welcome, St. Joseph, and continue to be the guardian of the Missionary Sisters of the Society of Mary, of their ministry and of all their friends and benefactors, happy to come and greet you.
Marie Ida BRIFFOD




